Manuscripts for submission to The Acupuncture(Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society) should be prepared according to the following instructions. The Acupuncture follows the 'Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals', if otherwise not described below.
1-1. Types of Publication
The Acupuncture accepts high-quality studies related to the Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine and also includes studies on Korean medicine in types of original articles, editorials, reviews, clinical researches, case reports, clinical images, commentaries, continuing education columns, and letters to the editor.
1-2. Handling of Manuscript and Publishing Order
All manuscripts will be determined whether to be published by going through deliberation of editorial board after being reviewed by a number of reviewers requested by editorial board. The publication order of selected manuscript will be in the order of submitting ﬁnal manuscript as a general rule.
1-3. Duplicate Publication and Unauthorized Publication
The manuscript with same details in same language as the ones published in other scientiﬁc journals or periodic publications already cannot be contributed and the manuscript published in our journal cannot be reproduced voluntarily at other places.
1-4. Publication Fee
A designated publication fee can be charged for all manuscripts except requested manuscripts. The designing fee or cost required for special printing must be paid by author for its actual expenses. And in case of desiring additional reprints, its number of copies should be written on the cover of
manuscript while the expenses required for the productions shall be paid separately by the author.
1-5. Statement of Human Right
The conﬁdentiality of patients must be protected in case of human subjects are involved. Recording name, chart number and precise date should be avoided and one must be careful not to expose patient status.
1-6. Role of Editorial Board
Various inquiries related to sending and editing manuscript must be perform at the editorial board, the editorial board may request corrections to author on style and length of manuscript and the phrases or structure of paragraph may be corrected within the range of not inﬂuencing the manuscript by the decision of editorial board. All manuscripts are not returned after being submitted.
The copyrights of all published manuscripts are owned by Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society.
2. Publication Period and Reception of Manuscript
The journal is published four times in March 20, June 20, September 20 and December 20 each year and received by editorial board at all times throughout the year. The submitting date of manuscript shall be the date manuscript was submitted at the editorial board and the acceptance of manuscript shall be the date when the revision has been completed after peer review process.3 Peer Review Process Manuscripts are reviewed by the Editorial Ofﬁce to make certain that the submission contains all parts. The Editorial Ofﬁce will not accept a submission if the author has not supplied all parts as described in the instructions. The manuscripts are then forwarded to the Editor-in-Chief. If the manuscript appears meritorious and appropriate for the Journal, the Editor-in-Chief assigns the manuscript to the appropriate three experts of corresponding ﬁeld for peer review. Editor-in-Chief, weighing the views of the reviewers and his or her own impressions of the manuscript, forwards a decision letter to the Editorial Ofﬁce. This decision letter is then sent to the author by e-mail. Editorial Board will make a ﬁnal decision on the approval for publication of submitted manuscripts and can request any further corrections, revisions, and deletions of the article text if necessary. Review and publication processes not described in the Instructions to Authors, will be incorporated into Editorial Policy Statements approved by the Council of Science Editors Board of Directors.
4. Submission of Manuscript
4.1 Manuscript preparation
Manuscripts should be submitted in ﬁle format of Hwp(Hancom Inc.), or Docx(MS Word). In case of submission with incompatible ﬁle format, extra editing fee besides publication fee may be requested. Manuscripts should be typed in A4 size (210×297mm) paper with double spacing and font size of 10 with margins of 2.5 cm (1 in.) on each side, top and bottom. Pages should be numbered in series from the title page. All paragraphs should be indented by 2 and it is not recommended to spacing typing with space bar in the beginning of paragraph. Other detailed instructions are as follows.
4.2 Final draft
Accepted manuscript shall be transferred to designated publisher to edit for the ﬁnal draft. The ﬁnal draft shall be sent to the corresponding author to proofread it.
5. Length of Manuscript
The length of manuscript shall be not exceeding 15 pages with A4 (210X297mm) white paper. If the length of draft exceeds 15 pages, extra publication fee will be charged to the author.
6 Organization Style of Manuscript
The article should be organized in the order of title page, abstract, keywords, texts, acknowledgements, references, table, ﬁgure, ﬁgure legends (except for clinical & case report and reviews) while the text is divided into title, introduction, materials (subject) and method, result, discussions and conclusion (summary).
6-l. Title Page
On the title page
1) Brief Korean and English title communicating the contents well (All words must be capitalized except for prepositions and articles).
2) Full name of authors in Korean (First author comes ﬁrst and co-authors follow)
3) Afﬁliation of authors
4) Full names and afﬁliations of authors in English
5) Name and address of corresponding author (including Phone, Fax and E-mail address) should be written in English.
6) Funding support
7) When the Korean title exceeds 30 characters or English title exceeds 15 words, the running head should be inserted at the end of the title page (No more than 10 characters in case of Korean and no more than 5 words in case of English.
The person listed on manuscript as the author of manuscript must be qualiﬁed as an author. Each author must be the person who has participated adequately in the study to the extent of being able to take responsibility for the details of study. The author is qualiﬁed only in case of
1) Contributing to establishing basic concept of study, experimental design and analysis & interpretation of data,
2) making considerable contribution in changing or improving main parts of indicated details or preparing manuscript
3) being able to consent to the details of ﬁnal manuscript. Authors are classiﬁed as the ﬁrst author, corresponding author and co-author while the order marked on manuscript shall be in the order of ﬁrst author and co-author. The corresponding author is marked separately at the bottom. The editor may inquire as to what work each author was in charge of in the study.
All manuscripts should contain an abstract written in English. If the manuscript is written in English, the Korean abstract should be prepared in the last page of manuscript. In the abstract, English title, name of authors (in the order of ﬁrst name-last name), afﬁliation of author and details of abstract while the length of abstract shall be no more than 250 words in English, 400 characters in Korean. The abstract should be written in a form of Objectives, Methods, Results, and Conclusions including the following details.
1) Objectives : Describe brieﬂy and clearly with l-2 sentences on why this study was performed and what is the object to be accomplished. The objective written here must correspond with title of manuscript and details stated in the introduction.
2) Methods : Describe speciﬁcally on what has been done and how in order to accomplish the objective describe in the ﬁrst paragraph. What materials are collected, how these materials are analyzed and how bias was adjusted are written.
3) Results : The details on how the results observed and analyzed using the method described in previous paragraph were should be logically described while presenting speciﬁc data.
4) Conclusions : The result derived from the outcome of this study is described with 1-2 sentences and this must be the one corresponding to the objective of study described in the ﬁrst paragraph.
5) The keywords of manuscript should be shown as no more than 6 words at the bottom of abstract. At this time, the keywords must use MeSH (Medical Subject Heading) listed on Index Medicus. When the word is name of acupoint, name of herbal prescription, Korean or Chinese name should be parenthesized.
In the original article, the text should be in the order of introduction, subjects or materials and methods, results, discussion, conclusion and reference while each item can be combined or omitted out of necessity. In the introduction, the objective of study and a brief background on this must be mentioned. The method should include materials such as animals for experiment, methods, experimental devices (state manufacturer and model) and procedure, while they must be described adequately and in detail for other researchers to reproduce in case of being performed using the same method and the statistical analysis of results must be also written. The result should be described in the same order as the order of ﬁgures but must not write the table of text or data of ﬁgure by repetition while only the important observational results should be emphasized and summarized. The discussion should be prepared based on new and important aspects of study as well as the conclusion from them, but the literary review irrelevant with results should be avoided.
1) Terminology :
Scientiﬁc terminologies should be in Korean if possible and can be written in English or Chinese only in case there is trouble with translating them.
Only standard abbreviations are used. Avoid use of abbreviations in title of manuscript and abstract. While using the abbreviation for the ﬁrst time in the text, mark the abbreviation using parentheses after writing the full name ﬁrst and can be only marked as abbreviation afterwards. While it is ideal to avoid using abbreviations that are generally used if possible, but the abbreviations of standard measuring unit is an exception.
3) Marking proper nouns, numbers and measurement units: name of people, places and other proper nouns should use original language if possible while the Arabic numbers are used for numbers and metric units are used for weights and measures. The temperature is written in Celsius and blood pressure is written in mmHg. The measurements of hematology and clinical biochemistry should use metric units of SI (International System of Units) method. The measured values and unit indications must be spaced.
4) Name of drugs:
Use general name rather than product name as a general rule. But the product name can be used only in case it is important for evaluation of results or tracking study.
a. Use the International standard code as a general rule in English expression of the name of acupoints. In case of using an additional name for the acupoint, it is recommended to use the Romanized Korean name and the Chinese pinyin name is also permitted. In both cases, only the ﬁrst character is capitalized.
For example: LI4, LI4 (Hapgok), or LI4 (Hoku).
b. The herbal prescription should be written by Romanized Korean name ﬁrst and the Chinese pinyin name should be parenthesized. And words that stand for ingredients such as tang, san or hwan should be indicated by lower case letters after using the hyphen(-). For example: Chungpesagan-tang (Qingfeixiegan-tang)
5) Category Classiﬁcation
The categories of text are classiﬁed with below two types.
a. In Korean, the text is classiﬁed with Arabic numerals
For example: 1, 2, 3, l), 2), 3), ①, ②, ③
b. In English, the text is classiﬁed with roman numerals.
For example: I, II, III, l, 2, 3, a, b, c
6-5. Figure and Table
The title of ﬁgure and table should be written in English while the same rule applies for legends in the table. The title of table should be capitalized except for prepositions and articles. The table should be prepared without inserting horizontal or vertical lines. A number and brief title should be attached to the table according to the order quoted in the text while the title cannot use abbreviations as a general rule. The explanation on category is inserted to footnote and not inserted to heading. Non-standard abbreviations used in tables are all explained in footnotes. In footnote, symbols are used for explanations and they are used in the following order: *, †, ‡, §, ∥, ¶, **, ++, ‡‡.
Table and Figure are placed in order after the text and their location is indicated in the text. The legend is written in English as a general rule, but only the ﬁrst word is capitalized and the rest is marked with lower case letters. The ﬁgure must be submitted with ones that are clearly prepared as professional design, should show arrows indicating the top, name of author and serial number on the back and the title or explanation of all ﬁgures should be written at once on a separate page. Tables or ﬁgures (including photographs) shall be no more than 10 all together and the exceeding expenses should be paid by the author in avoidable cases. In case the author requests colored ﬁgures, the expenses shall be paid by the author.
The authors have responsibility to check whether the bibliography included in the manuscript is quoted precisely and completely. All references are prepared in English as a general rule. But the preparation in Korean can be allowed only in case of old classic literature, book, report and scientiﬁc paper without English names in original work quoted. English preparation of reference should be prepared by referring to WHO-IST and WHO international Standard for acupuncturing parts published by WHO.
The reference should be organized by putting serial numbers according tothe order quoted in the text, indicate by putting into half-parenthesis as Arabic numeral in a form of superscript number at the end of quoted phrase, but should be written by corresponding with serial number of reference at the end. Six authors can be listed. If more than 6 authors are listed only list 6 names with 'et al.'. English names of author should be written as last name ﬁrst and the rest should be initialized. And the number of references should be 40 or less in case of original article as a general rule. The style of reference is as follows.
1) Original articles : Name of author. title. name of journal. published year ; volume (issue no.) : starting page-ending page.
You CH, Lee KY, Chey RY, Menguy R. Electrogastrographic study of patients with unexplained nausea, bloating and vomiting. Gastroenterology. 1980 ; 79(2) : 311-4.
2) Books: Name of author. name of book. editions. place : publisher. published year : number of pages.
Colson JH, Armour WJ. Sports injuries and their treatment. 2nd ed. London : Academic Press. 1986 : 155-6.
3) Book chapters: name of author. Chapter name : name of editor. name of book. editions. place : publisher. published year : starting page-ending page.
Foster DW. Diabetes mellitus. In: Fauci AS, Braunwald E, Isselbacher KJ, Wilson JD, Martin JB, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Longo DL. Harrison's textbook of medicine. 14th ed. New York : McGraw-Hill. 1998 : 2060-81.
4) Data of Electronic Media Morse SS. Factors in the emergence of infectious diseases. Emerg Infect Dis [serial online] 1995 Jan-Mar[cited 1996 Jun 5] ; 1(1) : [24 screens]. Available from: URL:http:// www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/eid.htm7. Manuscripts other than original article General details shall be according to original article.
7. Manuscripts other than original article
7-1. Review article/editorial article
Review article is consideration focused on speciﬁc title and published by requesting at the editorial board.
1) The entire length shall be prepared as 10 pages or less of A4 sized paper.
2) The order of thesis should be
A. Title. Author (Afﬁliation, Name):
B. English Abstract and Keywords (2 to 5):
3) English abstract and summary shall be no more than 150 words without classiﬁcation of category.
4) The discussion should be focused on speciﬁc part emphasized by the case and lengthy literary review should be avoided.
5) The number of references should be no more than 20.
The clinical image is to deliver the details through photographs and their explanation while this has the main purpose of education through photographs in contrast to the creative original article. The manuscript should be prepared within 1/2 page of A4 sized paper while the photo at the bottom of ﬁgure should be 4 or less and references should be 5 or less.
General interest or personal opinions on speciﬁc trend of the ﬁeld related to health should be described, the manuscript should be prepared within 4 pages of A4 sized paper and references should be limited as 5 or less.
As the part written by getting comment request on speciﬁc paper published on the journal, the opinion of society is not reﬂected. The manuscript should be prepared within 4 pages of A4 sized paper and reference should be limited as 10 or less.
7-6. Continuing Education Column
Request is made related to the topic determined at the editorial board, the manuscript should be prepared within 4 pages of A4 sized paper and reference should be limited as 5 or less.
7-7. Letters to the Editor
Constructive criticism or opinion is described on speciﬁc paper published on the journal within 6 months, the manuscript should be prepared within 1 page of A4 sized paper and reference should be limited as 5 or less.